Saturday, December 4, 2010

Doing what you love

   After a long day of work, what do you do after wards to relax the nerves and everything around you. Everybody has that one hobby or thing that they do to relax all their nerves and be who they are. Luckily, I have two things that I do that get me away from the real world to get rid of all my stresses during the time being. Both of them are something that I love and probably could never get rid of no matter what happens to me in life.
  Running wasn't always a big part of my life especially growing up. Growing up I was one of those really uncoordinated kids who couldn't run more then a hundred feet without tripping over myself, but by my freshmen year in high school that all changed. Coach Shutler took me under his wing after getting cut from the baseball team to run for him and that is where is all began.
  If he would of never took me under his wing to run track for him, I know for a fact that I wouldn't be where I am today for a few reasons. One reason would be that I probably wouldn't of even looked at the schools that I did and would of went south for college. Another reason is that running shaped me to who I am today, so without that who knows where I would honestly be. 
  Another way that I can relax my nerves and always know that it will be there for me is the game of basketball. There are nights after a rough day of classes where I will just go to the gym and shoot for two hours straight just to do what I love. Ever since I was little this was one of my ways to escape the real world. It is pretty nice to thing about how I learned to play basketball cause I had to teach myself. Living out in the country was rough on me, having to learn everything by myself because I didn't have that person around to teach me these kind of things. 
  I think I grew such a passion for the game though because I had to teach myself how to play. If someone else taught me I think I wouldn't care as much how things are, but it ended up helping me in the long run with playing basketball in high school. It gave me memories that I will never forget and will always have. Maybe, depending on what happens in life the next couple years, it might be time to lace of the sneakers again and give it another round.

2 comments:

  1. You are a great writer! Like you, I wasn't much of a runner when I was young. I got into track and field in high school because I ultimately wanted to play basketball. Well, at 5' at the time and not a fan of aggressive contact, I decided to stick with track and ultimately evolved into running long distances.

    I agree... running is an escape from everything else. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run today because of running in high school. I don't remember why I ran in high school, but if I hadn't of I am sure it wouldn't have been on my mind to try as an adult.

    ReplyDelete